Earth Day - 22 April 2022
Don't think you don't matter. Small choices we make everyday have an impact on our environment. This is a BIG topic, with lots of information, but I will share two interesting things with you.
According to The World Counts there are over 4 billion consumers today! They say "We are currently overusing Earth’s natural resources with more than 70 percent. If everyone on earth lived like the average American we would need 5.2 planets to support us" ¹.
Published in the Journal of Industrial Ecology, across 43 countries researched, it was shown that "consumers are responsible for more than 60 per cent of the globe's greenhouse gas emissions, and up to 80 per cent of the world's water use"².
Imagine if we could all make one tiny choice to reduce that piece of waste today, or skip that impulse purchase that we don't really need. Over 4 billion people can make a significant change to the future of our planet!
Making a difference could be really easy.
- Shop locally to reduce the impact from transportation
- Choose sustainable products or products that give back to charities
- Recycle and upcycle to reduce waste
If it's all too daunting, or you're not sure how you can do something. Just do one thing. One little thing could evolve into two little things. It is all making a difference!
1. The World Counts. https://www.theworldcounts.com/challenges/planet-earth/state-of-the-planet/number-of-consumers/story
2. Norwegian University of Science and Technology. (2016). Consumers have huge environmental impact: We like to blame the government or industries for the Earth's problems, but what we buy makes a big difference. ScienceDaily. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160224132923.htm